Telstra is a global telecommunications company, based in Australia. Established in 1997, the company has a monopoly in Australia and New Zealand. Its headquarters are located in Sydney, New South Wales. It operates businesses in Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
Telstra claims to have the world's largest national fibre-optic network, the largest mobile network, and the largest and longest-established fixed line network. It is the only GSM mobile phone network operator in Australia and New Zealand, and provides both prepaid and postpaid services, including mobile postpaid and prepaid mobile services.
The company's Australian division, Telstra, serves Sydney, Melbourne, Perth, Darwin, the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Adelaide, and the NSW Central Coast. The company also owns a small piece of land in Queanbeyan, as well as some buildings.
Telstra is a joint venture between Australia's national government, which owns 67.1%, and Singapore's telecommunications company, Singtel, which owns the remaining 32.9%.
Sydney-based Telstra is listed on the Australian Securities Exchange and is a constituent of the Australian and New Zealand Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ-100.
Telstra is the largest telecommunications company in Australia, and the sixth largest telecommunications company in the world by revenue.
The first formal operations of the company were established when two companies, Australian Eastern Telephone Supply Pty. Ltd. and Australian Telephone Supply Pty. Ltd. formed a joint venture called Telstra in 1997.
In 1998, the company changed its name from the co-operative society Telstra Corporation Limited, and embarked on an aggressive strategy of infrastructure improvement and development. This was supported by providing mobile phone tariffs at a reasonable price.
In 2004 the company was privatized, and is now wholly owned by Australian Telstra Corporation Limited, a publicly listed company. The company made heavy investments into telecommunications networks, with the first 'fixed line' telephone contract in Australia secured in 1990.
On 8 October 2007, Telstra announced that it would be opening a new data centre in Melbourne, Australia. It has since announced that the company may be opening several more data centers around Australia.
In 2009, Telstra acquired 1361 Communications, a mobile and Internet service provider in the Australian state of South Australia, and acquired the remaining 49% interest in 1361 from Vocus in 2010.